quarta-feira, 19 de novembro de 2014

William Gibson: The One Book Every Man Should Read - The master of sci-fi has a recommendation. By Camille Perri



William Gibson  
The One Book Every Man Should Read
The master of sci-fi has a recommendation.
By Camille Perri
 

on October 30, 2014

The best-selling science-fiction writer known for predicting the Internet, social media, 3-D printing, drones, and a mind-blowing number of other technological developments (years before they came into being!) tells us what we should be reading. Part of a series.



What one book should every man read?
If only one, something by a woman would probably be a good idea. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood, say. Good for any man to read that.
If you could have a drink with any writer, living or dead, who would it be, where would you go, what would you order, and what would you talk about? 
Jorge Luis Borges, a cafe in Buenos Aires, espresso, and I would listen carefully to absolutely anything he might care to say.
What's the most valuable lesson you've learned from a book?
I agree with E.M. Forster, that any didactic impulse on an author's part entirely lowers the tone of fiction. I don't believe that a fascist can write a good novel; they're too strong on guidance. In my formative years I read fiction as an antidote to guidance of various kinds. And it evidently worked, I'm happy to say.
What book were you surprised you loved, or hated, or what book are you ashamed you've never read?
I can't think of anything I've ever read that I was strongly expecting not to like (I'm terrible, that way). I found Raymond Chandler puritanical, when everyone I knew seemed to think I'd love him. It's entirely possible that many of the books I haven't read because I haven't thought I'd like them are actually quite good, but... 
What are you reading next?
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. 

William Gibson's new novel THE PERIPHERAL was just released by Putnam.



http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/william-gibson-book-every-man-should-read

Nenhum comentário: