Cross by James Patterson
Book Review by Erin Collazo Miller, About.com
The Bottom Line
- Fans of the Alex Cross series will be glad to see the next installment on shelves.
- Unbelievable action.
- Flat, underdeveloped characters.
- Too much violence used to disguise thin plot.
- Detective Alex Cross pursues his wife's potential killer.
- "The Butcher" is a serial rapist and murderer who mutilates victims.
- Flashbacks to Cross' wife and the Butcher's evil father attempt to create motive and depth.
Guide Review - Cross by James Patterson - Book Review
I was also turned off by how violent the story was. I can stomach violence in novels when it serves a meaningful purpose. The violence in Cross felt like an emotional tool to manipulate readers into caring more than the thinly developed characters or plot warranted.
If you have never read an Alex Cross novel before, don't start here. If you have and enjoyed them, maybe you will find Cross tolerable. I still would not recommend paying hardcover price.