segunda-feira, 23 de novembro de 2009

Uwem Akpan Interview - Akpan Discusses 'Say You're One of Them'


Uwem Akpan Interview - Akpan Discusses 'Say You're One of Them'

Book Review by Erin Colazo Miller, About.com


Uwem Akpan is the author of Say You’re One of Them, Oprah’s Book Club’s 63rd book. Say You're One of Them is a collection of five short stories, each taking place in a different country in Africa, each told from the perspective of a child. In this interview, Akpan discusses some of the themes of his book.

Erin Collazo Miller: Thank you for taking the time to talk with me. My readers and I are grateful for your writing and for your willingness to discuss the themes of your book in more depth. Your stories shed light on the issues children in Africa face, but I think it is easy for Americans to feel overwhelmed and helpless when they read about these sorts of situations. Do you think there is anything individual Americans can do to improve the situation in Africa? What do you hope that your readers will do with their increased awareness?

Uwem Akpan: This is a difficult question for me to answer. There are many Africans, too, whose situations are better than those of ones in these stories. They too can be overwhelmed by these stories. I am always happy when some American says to me at my readings, "Oh the family dynamics are familiar," or "Oh when I was young, I was not allowed to play with the kid next door because of religious differences." I am wondering whether Americans can read this book and seek to love their families more, make a place for everyone in their families. Besides, a lot of policy decisions about the third world are made in Western capitals...but do these Western governments understand or know these people out there?

ECM: How did you choose the two Bible verses at the beginning of the book (Daniel 3:17-18 and Micah 6:8)? How should these verses inform our reading of the stories?

  • "If our God, the one we serve, is able to save us from the burning fiery furnace and from your power, O king, he will save us; and even if he does not, then you must know, O king, that we will not serve your god or worship the statue you have erected." Daniel 3:17-18
  • "What is good has been explained to you...to act justly, to love tenderly, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

Akpan: I picked these verses because I used them a lot for prayers when I was writing these stories. The first one has to do with resilience and unconditional fidelity to God. The three people whom King Nebuchadnezzer forced to worship false gods told the king that it did not really mattered if their God wanted to save them or not from his persecution...but that they would never worship false gods. I saw this sort of resilience in the children I am writing about. The second verse has to do with how we must proceed in life. I like that too. I do not like it when people try to shove their religion down others' throats. This too is a theme in my stories.

ECM: Despite your experience with immense suffering and injustice, you believe in a God of love, hope and justice. Where do you find God in the midst of such deep pain?

Akpan: I have no answer to suffering and death. I would love to be free from all pain and fear and death. We can do a lot to change the world. But there will always be something beyond our control. As someone once said, "I know God only enough to want to follow him." I love his presence in my life...this is the God who allowed his son to be killed. Divine love, hope and justice are not always understandable to the human mind. I would love to see a better world. My faith says this is possible.

ECM: Your writing demonstrates keen insight into the minds of children. Are there particular children in your life who have informed and inspired you?

Akpan: I play with children a lot. And I am always fascinated by them. As every father or mother or nanny knows, children can say the most profound thing without knowing.

ECM: In many of your stories, your characters seem to feel a conflict between self-preservation and loyalty to family. Do you think there are options for children like Jigana in "An Ex-mas Feast" and Kotchikpa in "Fattening for Gabon" other than running away?

Akpan: I believe strongly that someday Africa or other struggling places worldwide will get better...perhaps the people of these places will no longer need to run to the West to have a good life.

ECM: Thank you again for your time.

http://bestsellers.about.com/od/authorinterviews/a/uwem_akpan_interview.htm

Nenhum comentário: