Marley & Me by John Grogan
By Erin Collazo Miller, About.com
Marley & Me by John Grogan is an engaging book that uses the story of a crazy dog as a framework for talking about life, love and the struggles of beginning a marriage, starting a family and making the most of every moment. This is a must-read for anyone who has ever loved a pet. Marley & Me, however, is for more than pet people. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good story.
· An interesting, easy to relate to story
· Well-written and easy to read
· It will make you laugh, it will make you cry
· Great gift for pet lovers, especially anyone with a dog
· People who don't like pets might not be as interested
· 'Marley & Me' was published by William Morrow in October 2005. It was turned into a movie in December 2008. 304 Pages.
· A young couple, just starting their life together
· Learning that love is worth the sacrifices -- even torn up furniture & screen doors
Guide Review - 'Marley & Me' by John Grogan - Book Review
Like Grogan and his wife, my husband and I decided to add pets to our home shortly after we married. Although our cats' antics do not compare to Marley's drool-flinging, pillow eating,
I did enjoy it, and it did have some hilarious pet stories. I found, however, that it was much more than a pet book.
Grogan uses Marley's story as a vehicle for sharing his insight into experiences many people in their twenties, thirties and early forties share. The book covers his newlywed years, the ups and downs of trying to start a family, home ownership and neighborhood issues, and the evolution of his career. Yes, there are dog stories, and yes, Grogan contends that there is a lot we can learn from our pets. The story is, however, so honest and well-written that I believe it will resonate with pet lovers and pet-deprived people alike.